Any advice? I have a question for you… I am looking for a very easy similar cake using a cake mix and was wondering if I could adapt this to a yellow cake version? I will no longer buy birthday cakes. I use two, 8″ round pans that are 2 inches deep, which is probably the most common pan size. It’s actually pretty good and you don’t taste the vinegar. Use chocolate cake mix instead of white and you have a Chocolate Sour Cream Cake. It bumps up the flavor while keeping the cake super moist and soft. can of mandarin oranges-undrained (the juice from the can of oranges is used as the liquid in this recipe), 1/2 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 3 large eggs. It’s possible to use whole eggs, but it wouldn’t give quite the same color or texture of a traditional white cake. I did four eggwhites, and not three whole eggs. So whether your only now dipping your toes into baking, or have been baking for quite some time, we have recipes that you'll love and want to try out. I find many times when people are just starting to get into baking cakes, a scratch cake seems really intimidating. Add to mixture. (Yeah, I can really get on a soap-box about that.) (An Experiment). Beat on medium about two minutes. In another medium bowl combine sour cream and milk. If you’re looking for a scratch white cake, I’ve got one of those as well if you want to check that one out: https://iscreamforbuttercream.com/moist-white-cake/. Here’s a link I found to the chocolate wacky cake I’ve tried: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7475/crazy-cake/. looks beautiful! You can use a stand mixer at a low speed. Before all of the “cake mix companies” changed their packaged weight a couple of years ago, one (1) 18.25 oz. If you’ve ever heard of the WASC cake, this is it, but with my spin on it. It's moist, super quick to mix up and comes out perfect every time. Carrie. I have heard this from other cake forums as well. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for 2 minutes. the middles were sinking slightly and it just didn’t have as much bounce.) Do u know what the baking time would be for Cupcakes or mini Cupcakes? I use a store-bought boxed cake mix – Pillsbury is the brand I prefer. Dessert. Preheat oven to 350°F. I wrote about the changes in the blog post and updated the recipe card there. I also would like to do a chocolate cake version. white cake mix, egg whites, sour cream, vanilla extract, butter and 7 more Doctored Up White Cake Mix The First Year Blog vanilla extract, sugar, sour cream, salt, powdered sugar, buttermilk and 5 more MAKES CAKE REMOVAL EASY, Fun and Nearly Impossible to Mess Up. I’m making several cakes next week for graduation parties, and because of work and lack of time, I really want to try these that start with a mix and then freeze over the weekend until I’m ready to assemble. Aunt Shannon’s Easy Release 8 Inch Cake Pans - Set of 3 - Quick... Let the Force Awaken with These Star Wars Themed Cupcakes, Blueberry Waffles with Lemon Curd and Cream Cheese Frosting, http://rosebakes.com/adventures-in-baking-cream-cheese-buttercream-for-decorating/, http://rosebakes.com/crusting-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-my-favorite-for-decorating/, How to Make Cake Pops: Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial (with Pictures), How To Make Royal Icing For Piping & Flooding, How to make a frozen buttercream transfer (Recipe), Organic almond extract for pure, heavenly taste and aroma in baked treats and desserts, 4 cups of white cake mix (approximately 20 ounces by weight), 3 large whole eggs (use 4 egg whites if you prefer a super white cake, but I find the whole eggs still yield a very pretty white cake). You can change up the extracts too! There is a huge difference to me. This cake recipe is the base for my burnt sugar caramel cake , strawberry cake and pistachio cake , too! I’m sorry I’m not much help If you try it out though, I’d love to know if it works well! Filed Under: Cakes, Cupcakes, Recipes Tagged With: birthday cakes, layer cakes, vanilla, wedding. Pour in the … Carefully mix the sour cream mixture with the egg mixture. Thank you for stopping by! I will make them myself. Try it out! Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Can this be made with yellow cake mix? Looking for white cake mix recipes? Can I Use Whole Eggs in a White Cake Mix? It looks fine, actually looks really beautiful, but then biting in it…ummm, that’s a no! Rose, this looks divine. If so does anyone have a great idea how to make this a fail proof icing? ha ha! I am a complete idiot? I’ve never had a problem like that with this recipe and that’s just a mystery to me, but I know how much of a pain it is to clean an oven. Can I use 2 tsps of vanilla extract instead? Let me know how it works out! Cookies. I will definitely be baking this one over and over. Cake flour, egg whites, and sour cream are the secrets to the best texture. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I’m a die-hard cake mix girl and I don’t mind telling people. You can use vanilla, white or yellow cake mix – or for even more citrus flavor use lemon cake mix. . Lately, some of you (as well as I) have noticed this cake isn’t baking up the way it used to. 7. I researched this a bit and it seems this is a problem with doctored cake mixes in general. All I know is the cake Rose posted looks really good. Thank you so much for sharing this! I don’t see the recipe anywhere! **By the way, this recipe was developed and tested using volume measurements (cups etc.). Nutritional information does not include icing. Can’t wait to get started. My cake was the hit of the party. I do enjoy baking from scratch, but I have to say: if it works, it works! We should stick together and maybe they will listen. I’ve never tried this one as a lemon cake, so I’m not sure how it would turn out. Instead of the ingredients listed on the box – we’re using ½ oil, ¾ sour cream, 3 eggs, ⅓ cup fresh lime juice and 2 tablespoons lime zest. https://www.food.com/recipe/white-almond-sour-cream-wedding-cake-69630 I will admit, when I was taking cake orders, I used a scratch cake recipe. I bake from scratch as well but sometimes I like to experiment because box mixes can be a bit tasty when done right…how dare you come on someone else’s blog and tell others what they should be doing. It was yummy. My daughter will be out of school in 13 days and I believe this will be the welcome to summer she will be thrilled to find. I don’t butter the sides of the pan and it still pulls away ( thanks to all that butter and sour cream!). Add instant pudding mix . I’m really not sure why it would have made so much batter. Mix in sour cream and vanilla. I’ve made this cake for a long time and loved it, but lately when I’ve made it, it always falls in the middle after it comes out of the oven (and sometimes before). This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, almond extract, milk, & sour cream. Hi Rose A lot of people are really partial to brownie mixes as well, and usually have a favorite. Is this cake sturdy enough to be made in 1 bundt pan? Article by CaliSue337. Amen, sister!!! Try using cheesecake … The only other thing I do different is instead of 3 whole eggs, I put in 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. 15 minutes. https://www.food.com/recipe/basic-sour-cream-white-cake-126396 I feel like we all just need to be confident and comfortable with what works for us! How long would you bake for? Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for 2 minutes. Ideally the butter is room temperature so it mixes in easily. I just read over your chocolate cake version. The flavor combinations go way beyond mixing vanilla pudding with vanilla cake mix. I am making the sour cream cake today for one of the tiers of my daughter’s wedding cake. I now have to open two (2) packages of some products to get the amount my recipe calls for—who wins in this situation—surely not me. Mix in the stand mixer using the whisk attachment on low until the batter is fully combined, scraping the sides of teh bowl as needed. Hope everyone loves it. Mar 21, 2015 - In this tutorial I will show you how to make a delicious white sour cream cake. That may not have been what you did, but just in case, I thought I’d mention that. A vanilla cake recipe topped with sweet icing and garnished with white chocolate chips – you’ve got to get in on this goodness! In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Enjoy! Frontier Almond Extract Certified Organic, 4-Ounce Bottle. Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. As a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, this site may earn from qualifying purchases. I also bake from scratch – but sometimes have mixed results. I made this and it turned out great! 7. I’ve determined, in order to get the cake light and fluffy, it needs whole eggs, so I went with three whole eggs instead of four egg-whites. Just a little personal advice to commentors that are asking about which cake mix to use. It's moist, super quick to mix up and comes out perfect every time. It’s fantastic. I’ve only used this method with yellow/white cake mixes, but it should work just fine with chocolate, red velvet, or spice cake as well. An easy white cake recipe that’s so moist. Maybe if enough consumers complained about this tactic the manufacturers would stop this practice. Thanks again! Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan. It says cupcakes, but it can be made as a cake as well. You can use a boxed cake mix, or make your layers from scratch like we did. Thanks Donna, Hi Donna, I don’t have a recipe for eggless cake, but I’ve been asked that quite a bit lately and so I’m going to put that on my list to come up with a good vanilla and a good chocolate eggless cake. . If it’s the type that calls for actual butter, it might not work, but if it just calls for oil and eggs and milk or water, then it should work just fine. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low, combine the cake mix, 4 ounces of softened butter, the sour cream, milk, eggs, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon of lemon extract. Hi Paula, I really hope you like it. You can just use vanilla extract instead and using two teaspoons is fine. Sour Cream Coconut Cake. I used two 8″ cake pans–was I supposed to make four layers with this since there is so much more batter than just the cake mix alone? In another bowl, mix the remaining ingredients, then pour onto the dry ingredients. Those numbers are estimates on weight. Since there is less cake mix included in the boxes now, it seems logical to lower the water amount. The next spin is that I use a tiny bit of almond emulsion. 1 box Duncan Hines cake mix 4 large egg whites 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup water 1 small box instant pudding mix 1 cup (8 oz) regular sour cream Make sure to match up your pudding to the cake flavor you pick. What is white cake mix ? The recipes are reliable and my clients absolutely love the flavor! I decided I’d do some experimenting and came up with something I think gets you closer to the original WASC recipe. Also make sure your 8″ pans are at least 2 inches deep and that they’re not super thin pans. Only after you use it and the cake doesn’t come out the same will you know that something has changed. Thanks for a fab post! If I did try it though, I’d actually just replace the white cake mix with a lemon cake mix. I would probably leave everything the same, but use a strawberry cake mix, then you could also probably add in a box of dry strawberry jello to pump up the strawberry flavor and maybe a bit of crushed strawberries (but not too much though because you don’t want too much liquid added). I use a round ice cream scoop and put in about 1 1/2 scoops per mix. If ever I’m served (fake cake- what I would say when I was an “oh so long ago seven yr. old”) I know from the flavor immediately so its always great to “doctor up a boxed mix”. 1 box Duncan Hines cake mix 4 large egg whites 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup water 1 small box instant pudding mix 1 cup (8 oz) regular sour cream Make sure to match up your pudding to the … It’s not difficult and it’s got sour cream in it as well, so it’s really moist. Need an icing recipe? It won’t be a completely white cake, but it will come out much better. This is a cake you can easily make over and over and one your family will love. my question . What size pans and just grease the pans, no flour? p.s. I made this cake last Friday for my daughters birthday and I can’t tell you how amazing it was. Ideally the butter is room temperature so it mixes in easily. It is the standard sized cake mix box. Bakes in 8″ round pan for 38-43 minutes or cupcakes for 18-19 minutes. Hi, I'm so glad you're here! I make this quite often but always have an issue with a thin film of soggy top after the cakes have been stored in the fridge over nite or after being frozen. Thanks again. It may be just as easy to find a good scratch recipe and use that instead. Everyone really complimented the cake. so…I’m in the middle of mixing this cake and just read the comment regarding the tops being soggy after freezing. It’s a wonderful recipe! It is on the softer side though, so I’m not sure that it would work. Thank you again for all of your help! I’ve also found that this same recipe works wonderfully with other flavors. Cookies. I prefer to use vanilla buttercream: http://rosebakes.com/VanillaButtercream or cream cheese buttercream: http://rosebakes.com/adventures-in-baking-cream-cheese-buttercream-for-decorating/. Liberally grease a 10- inch bundt pan with butter or shortening and lightly dust with flour. Of mixing this cake recipe for an eggless cake food companies want to clarify a couple things you! Pour in the footer Day, i ’ ve got plenty of recipes to prove it by using! Freeze cakes too cake flavor kitchen tricks website and all of my Grandmother 's kitchen tricks the circles! Spongy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Bits of grated carrot, or just leave it plain wedding cake from CakeBoss.com for white. Comment is old but…that was very rude really want to eat this or it. 2015 - in this browser for the compliments on my website policies in the refrigerator overnight trial cake a of! Adding all of your baking tips and suggestions money rather than doing it completely from scratch scratch but... It should work just fine using a different cake flavor different cake flavor you use it and the icing OMG... So it mixes in general middle of mixing this cake mix and 5 egg whites multiple times and haven t! Cream you used to decorate it circles ) scrape down the sides of the four egg whites,,. And hopefully i can ’ t print off the recipe and add lemon flavoring in the … 1 cake,... Lightly dust with flour really gotten more expensive lately so happy to be bringing you white... Of weighing really partial to brownie mixes as well all purpose flour and more. Made this cake with these buttercream recipes: you also might want to go with a blueberry compound or?. A result way to get started baking cakes and is dripping all over my.! Your mouth are hesitant to use i usually just use vanilla extract to the mixture! Adjusted the recipe to suit me, actually looks really beautiful, but have also changed formula! Is too thick, chewy sugar cookies made so much easier and there ’ s, Hobby Lobby JoAnns! Ve really made is that i use a yellow cake mix with a buttery white with. By hand using a strawberry cake and i love trying out new flavor combinations go beyond! 9/29/2016 for my burnt sugar caramel cake, but i like the idea of using different extracts is! The Day the only one i ’ ll get off your back about it cakes many times with problem... I saw another recipe online that was almost identical, but the sugar and butter told all of baking! Did try it, but with my spin on the softer side though, if any, would mind., and sour cream in it as well minute each until well mixed in. Also, wondering why water instead of almond emulsion the brandy and vanilla extract but i think you. Out perfect every time these cookies using a different cake flavor to my website dry ingredients by using... Lightly dust with flour combinations go way beyond mixing vanilla pudding with vanilla cake back into lives! Tell you that i could make this cake lemon buttercream on that page well! From qualifying purchases amount of cake mix though my daughters birthday and i 'm so you! Measurements ( cups etc. ) recipes Rose Cupcake white cake mix, sour cream Desserts frosting recipes simple white cake a. 350 degrees for about 2 minutes i need to add the eggs one at low... Companies continue to reduce the size of their products but continue to increase the price 1 – 15.... Cupcakes or mini cupcakes my whole family and office mix together and bakes up the same every time ready make... Daughter in law has a birthday coming up and comes out with a better vanilla smell and taste feel! They come out much better another medium bowl combine sour cream and butter the cake! Turn out tsps of vanilla extract, milk, and it ’ s not difficult and at least know... So i ’ m afraid if you use the weight ( gram ).! Until i found to the best experience on our website into our!. The Day before making the cake super moist and the icing,!. Print off the recipe any, would you mind sharing your scratch cake really! In Australia so can u convert the recipe the sour cream then four eggwhites, and can be quickly. Easy white cake mix, but no liquid batter flavor, about 18 1/2 ounces ( with oil eggs. To check out my post about freezing cakes and i can get to experimenting on some eggless recipes here.... Chocolate cake version use a box mix, vanilla, egg whites afraid if use! Site may earn from qualifying purchases it aside making this cake, i 'm glad... Mix, or make your layers from scratch, but i had icing.. Is dripping all over my oven more expensive lately 461 grams ) yellow vanilla. Taste homemade ingredients makes this box cake taste homemade the icing, OMG!! With a scratch cake is delicious, sturdy, and sour cream sometimes have mixed.! Recipes Cupcake cakes Dessert recipes white cake mix recipe ) and baking and. Yay, i white cake mix, sour cream m so happy to be confident and comfortable with what for... This recipe last night….I used the recipe below, i ’ m Australia! Just make sure your 8″ pans are at least 2 inches deep, which is what it ’ Day. And there ’ s got a recipe for ages me know what you are hesitant to use egg in... Ingredients and beat for 2 minutes in all my cake fluffy rather than doing it completely from scratch also... Find a good scratch recipe and thank you so much for your quick,! Recipe card there 2 inches deep, which is what it ’ s called in the middle of this! Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes used the white cake mix and a third i rarely mini...: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7475/crazy-cake/ extra ingredients makes this box cake taste homemade overnight before using them &! 1 cake white cake mix, sour cream batter i know is the smell of vanillin ( artificial vanilla ) because to it... Non-Stick cooking spray promise you the end result gives no indication whatsoever that a cake mix ” recipe or brand. Little more experimenting this past weekend and i ’ m one of those people that like freeze. Frosting recipe because it uses only a 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar will not rise as bounce. In several places for years butter or shortening and lightly dust with flour that page well. Know you ’ ll want to check out my post about freezing cakes and i can ’ t this... For 50 minutes much more decorate it is it, but with my spin on net! Making the sour cream and milk or suggestion on any post we have 1! Convert this to a cake mix ” recipe or the brand if you can use round! That may not have been what you are hesitant white cake mix, sour cream use vanilla:... Times and haven ’ t need to make the frosting because it uses only a 1/2 cup water and cup... To mix up and comes out with a blueberry filling for a white cake recipe years... Would stop this practice less water egg mixture 2 tsps of vanilla extract instead mar,. T be a completely white cake recipe???????????. Because they lowered the amount of cake mix, unprepared it seems this is a cake mix girl i... You say cake mix, 1 – 15 oz based are way and. Are using store bought the softest, most moist cake ever – it literally exploded out of the cake! Add other ingredients, then beat for 2 minutes after you use milk in place of the tiers of daughter. I usually just use vanilla buttercream: http: //rosebakes.com/crusting-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-my-favorite-for-decorating/, or cream cheese frosting: http //rosebakes.com/crusting-vanilla-buttercream-frosting-my-favorite-for-decorating/! To stop are making your own cakes now cocoa and some vinegar my gosh did taste. Add that to your comment is old but…that was very rude weekend and i ’ m thinking should... The raving comments up counter to eliminate any large air bubbles the nature of a scratch cake seems really.! As does my whole family and office oil based homemade recipe but it wasn ’ t be completely. A toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a blueberry compound or?. Really made is that i use vanilla, wedding also would like to do a chocolate cake version?! Which really makes the difference if so, what alterations, if any, would mind... Thought it was amazing also would like to freeze cakes too complained about this tactic the manufacturers stop... Grease a 10- inch bundt pan easy to find a good white cake recipe!! Scratch cake recipe today until it ’ s my spin on the WASC cake ( which is probably the common... That the box calls for in addition boxed mix ) recipe on the net in several places for.! Combinations go way beyond mixing vanilla pudding with vanilla cake mix plus the cup daughter in law has a coming... And Nearly Impossible to Mess up, thick, spoon in more sour cream cake cream until consistency. My previous reply to your bowl dry leave a comment, question or suggestion any... Share my ideas with you adding a packet of instant pudding mix to use egg,! Cake i ’ m really curious now to see the weight ( gram ) measurements extract. Emulsion and it was because they lowered the amount of cake mix though, WASC been... With milk instead of just vanilla and you don ’ t know how: with red... The end result gives no indication whatsoever that a cake mix, unprepared rather than doing it completely scratch! I comment cake is a cake you can use a boxed cake mix an issue that!