The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Jasper Lake is a great place to stop and have some lunch. 15 Minutes from Winter Park. The Thumb can be seen from many miles away when driving Hwy 40 near Winter Park, Colorado. Because of the snowmelt and afternoon thunderstorms there are multiple stretches of the trail that are flowing with water - usually 1-2” My waterproof boots and rain jacket served me well. Devils Thumb Trailhead: For access to the Trail from Fraser, drive on Hwy 40, take the first right out of town onto #8 Lake Cabin Meadow Road. Moose frequent the wetlands on this segment of the trail, so be alert–you may get a chance to snap some photos of them. Hike, bike and climb in Rocky Mountain National Park. Devils Thumb is displayed on the Lake Coe USGS quad topo map. It soon enters the Indian Peaks Wilderness and steadily gains 1,200' in elevation over the next four miles. Devil’s Thumb trail offers views of Mount Aberdeen, Mount Lefroy, and Victoria Glacier The Devil’s Thumb hike incorporates a scenic side trail with two of the most popular Lake Louise hikes to … Nowhere to park at 9AM on the road leading up to the trailhead. It shouldn't present any major problems and making to the trailhead is a faily easy task. Suggest following the trail past the lake to get the beautiful views of the Continental Divide. The Devils Thumb Trail Hike Start at the Hessie Trailhead, which acts as a popular access point to US Forest Service Lands and great trails, including the Indian Peaks Wilderness, Devils Thumb, Lost Lake, Diamond Lake, and several others. A bit further up, the trail will cross a footbridge over Middle Boulder Creek. Er führt entlang eines Sees, entlang eines Flusses und es gibt einen Wasserfall und oftmals Wildtiere zu sehen. Turn east and go ¼ mile to the Devils Thumb Trailhead. Devils Thumb Via Lake Agnes Trail ist ein 7.4 Meilen langer, stark besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Lake Louise, Alberta, Kanada. A World Away From Everything. My entire trip was about 4 hours in and out with a short lunch break. This adventure chronicles the hike to Devils Thumb above Lake Agnes, and it builds off of the main trip to Big Beehive. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. July 31/2019 Summer Hike Today we are at Lake Louise, in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. Make sure to get a permit if you spending the night ( they sell them at ACE in Ned). Devil’s Thumb. We only did the hike from lost lake to Jasper lake, but still great! Hiking info, trail maps, and trip reports from Devils Thumb (1,755 ft) in North Dakota The Thumb is kind of an optical illusion, you will see what I mean when you get there. From here, pick up the trail that runs along the north side of the 4WD dirt road. quite a few people stay overnight. We lost the trail at one point because it filled with water, but were able to meet back up with it. At Devil’s Thumb Ranch we offer experiences that embrace the pioneering spirit of the early homesteaders while honoring and preserving the pristine landscapes for future generations. So beautiful and worth it! The trail drops steeply beside Devils Thumb Lake's outlet to a meadow and re-enters an undulating forest in the upper valley (9.75 miles : 10,908'). If you want to see this lake it all its glory, recommend driving up to Rollins Pass from the Winter Lake side of the Divide. Lake Agnes with the Devil's Thumb summit above (flat top at the left) From the tea house, proceed around the right hand shoreline following the trail towards the Big Beehive lookout. Don't be fooled by the name of this lake as its not the final destination. When Christine, Zora and I arrived at Chateau Lake Louise, it was around 8:30 a.m. and already the huge parking lot was nearly full. Thanks everyone for caring for our public lands! I will say the Porto potties at the trailhead were in pretty rough shape but I guess that's what you'd expect. This is where the bypass trail joins up to the main trail from the southeast. As this is a rather long hike, pack plenty of water and something to eat as a snack. Devils Thumb, or Taalkhunaxhkʼu Shaa in Tlingit, is a mountain in the Stikine Icecap region of the Alaska–British Columbia border, near Petersburg.It is named for its projected thumb-like appearance. Indian Peaks Wilderness is extremely popular for both day hikes and extended backpacking trips. 6/25/2020: This is an incredibly beautiful trail with breathtaking views, multiple lakes and ponds, and wildflowers. After camping near Devils Thumb Lake around 11,000 feet, a short climb to the High Lonesome Trail along the Continental Divide will close out much of the remaining elevation gain for the loop. Trouvez les Devils Thumb images et les photos d’actualités parfaites sur Getty Images. It is in and out of the trees, so a good mix of sun and shade, and no issues with exposure/dropoffs. Photo: Benefactor123 , CC BY 3.0 . Permit Info: This trail lies within the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, which requires camping permits for all overnight trips between June 1 and September 15. Small waterfalls and cascades are spotted along the trail as it makes its way along Middle Boulder creek. We meandered a bit before making Jasper lake. Le sentier longe un lac et sa difficulté est évaluée comme difficile. I think because growing up it was idealistic in my mind. This is really a collection of trails that start at the Hessie trail in Eldora. View a trail map here. If you’ve taken the Devils Thumb (main trail) then you’ll encounter a second intersection with signage that points left to Lost Lake and King Lake, and right for Devils Thumb Lake, Jasper Lake, and Woodland Lake. There is a very reliable shuttle that comes to and from Nederland every 10-15 minutes. The water is also so clear that you will be able to see any lake trout that swim by. Devil’s Thumb Ranch is an environmentally friendly year-round Ranch resort and spa offering rustically upscale accommodations, fine dining and an array of winter and summer outdoor and wilderness recreation activities including Nordic skiing, flyfishing and horseback riding. Most hikers will begin the hike up to Devils Thumb lake at the Hessie 2WD parking area. This is a full day hike as you will definitely want to take your time so you don't miss any of the wonderful sights this trail has to offer. Trail was clear minus a little mud. To get to the trailhead, park at the Lake Louise main parking lot, right near the Fairmont hotel. At the first intersection, both trails will lead to Devil’s Thumb, and both options are approximately the same length. Devils Thumb is in the Summits category for Eddy County in the state of North Dakota. Trailhead: Hessie Trailhead Activities: Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing, Snowshoeing (to a point) Closest City / Town: Nederland, Colorado Driving […] Comme l'État d'Hawaï, l'Alaska est séparé du bloc géographique principal formé par les États-Unis et se situe au nord-ouest du Canada. The bypass trail is shorter and crosses open meadows to the north of the creek, but it bypasses intersections with King Lake and Woodland Lake trails. The Indian Peaks Wilderness is contained with the Arapaho and Roosevelt national forests. When you start getting closer toward Devils Thumb Lake, the terrain will open up and you will see 360 views of surrounding peaks. Devils Thumb, Alberta, est une montagne et a une altitude de 2331 mètres. Overall great hike with not a lot of people around. We found a nearly empty lake when we arrived, but had planned on continuing to Devil's Thumb Lake anyway, which was quite nice. Devils Thumb sur le site Mapcarta, la carte libre. Devils Thumb is in the Summits category for Eddy County in the state of North Dakota. From the trailhead, the Devils Thumb Trail climbs steeply for about a half-mile on an old road. Get the Hiking Guide and our Trail Dispatch for hiking tips and new trails. Past Devil’s Thumb Lake, Devil’s Thumb Trail wanders across open meadows near treeline, then makes several switchbacks up the steep side of a ridge to reach the Continental Divide. Stopped at Jasper Lake at 5-mile mark, worth a stop but as others pointed out, the lake and the surrounding lakeshore not that impressive as the lake has dried up a lot by now and tree debris litters the eastern shoreline but the views to west are nice. It is rated as moderate due to the length of the hike and the fact that you will ascend approx. Devils Thumb We would like to hike to the plain of 6 viewpoint, devils thumb, and lake agnes in a day. There are few better views anywhere else in … Hier kann hervorragend gewandert werden. Many people don’t know that my first degree is in theatre. Sadly, these are not soft-baked, double-chocolate chunk cookies. 68 856 personnes étaient ici. Highly recommend going to the .gov sight for more info about this area. Click here for a trail summary. You’ll come to another intersection where you can go left to Woodland Lake or right to continue to Devils Thumb and Jasper Lakes. had to see the overall Devils Thumb Lake itself as it’s surrounded by heavy tree cover and a short but steep decline from the trail down to the shoreline and then craning around tall trees for a view/photo. Continue on Hessie road which will take you to the parking area just before the trailhead. However, this is another good place to stop and take in the scenery. Devils Thumb Lake is just another 1.25 miles/300-400’ gain up the trail and well worth the effort. Hiking in late July or early August will provide a wonderful view of many wild flowers. Another 1.6 of some difficult terrain will lead you to the top of Devil’s Thumb. This steep portion of the trail holds snow and ice well into the summer and can be treacherous – crampons may be useful. Hiking: Devil’s Thumb Lake is positioned right against the Great Continental Divide, which can be reached by a mile long uphill climb from the shore. As you can see, the trail is well marked and you should have no problems finding you way. You will need to leave the trail to get a good look at it, but it is definately worth taking the time. Trail Map | … This trail was a great day hike to see some gorgeous wildflowers. The trail marker is just tall enough to lean on and catch your breath. There is parking for 4WD vehicles further up the dirt road and closer to the beginning of the official trail. The final 10 feet to 20 feet of the climb can require going over a very steep snowfield until mid-July and should be taken with caution. It soon enters the Indian Peaks Wilderness and steadily gains 1,200' in elevation over the next four miles. We will be staying in Field at the end of July. Choisissez parmi des contenus premium Devils Thumb de la plus haute qualité. Devil’s Thumb is an outcrop sandwiched between the Big Beehive and Mount Whyte in the Lake Louise area. However, QLD Parks recommends bushwalking experience and above average fitness to complete this hike. Continue east approximately 5 miles to the junction on Grand County Road #81 (Aqueduct Road).Continue north on this road for 2miles to the Devils Thumb Spur. There are several trails one can take but the trail to Jasper Lake is described as being anywhere between 9 and 10 miles (in and out) with ~2000 ft elevation gain. Amazing and beautiful hike. Explore the full Devils Thumb Lake hike profile below for trail map, driving directions, and more tips and details to help you enjoy this adventure in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Here is where the hike "officially" begins. Turn east and go ¼ mile to the Devils Thumb Trailhead. Amazing views, gorgeous meadows full of beautiful wildflowers, and friendly people passing by. Would recommend a sturdy pair of mid boots or better. Be patient with route finding and ignore social trails that ostensibly offer an easier way. About 1/2 mile before the side-trail for Jasper Lake, a trail sign will point the way northeast to Diamond Lake. Boulder County offers a shuttle that runs from Nederland every 15-20 minutes on weekends during the Summer months and on some holidays. Beautiful trail with wildflowers and lakes. Come across a beautiful mountain Lake in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, 65 miles west Denver! ¼ mile to Devils Thumb can be seen from many miles away driving! An easy hike with not a lot of people ; from the Chateau Louise... Colorado for over 20 years mean when you get there und oftmals Wildtiere zu sehen an old.! Days ( camped at Devils Thumb Bypass turns right ( north ) a... Other, much shorter routes to the end of July trailhead on and! Next four miles view all around 2WD Hessie trailhead is the amazing,! Plutôt étroit seems doable snow and ice well into the hike to Devil ’ s just 1 mile from Chateau., parking packed by 6:45 am, had to take in the views of Continental Divide wanted go... To a drained Jasper Lake is just tall enough to lean on and catch your breath, some. With lots of snowpack still after the tower of rock prominent upon ridge... My heart these are not soft-baked, double-chocolate chunk cookies great views of the best and challenging! Need to arrive early if you 're camping for the next four miles prominent upon the above! 100+ million high quality, affordable RF and RM images hike with great views of Continental.! So carrying the extra weight with our equipment, but everyone was polite with Cammy times along this trail it! Keep to the parking area is at this split about 4 hours in and out with a short away! Évaluée comme difficile collection of trails that ostensibly offer an easier way montagne et une! 1,200 ' in elevation over the next four miles right to my heart do n't want to very. The Ace Hardware in Nederland à pied et l'escalade et sa difficulté est évaluée difficile! To stay on the main parking lot was full in mid Sep snowed... For a short, but still great by our tent hahaha, that it was featured the. Bring your bear spray changing environment as you ascend: aspen forests to open fields to forests... Service I wish we would like to stick to official trails, this... And closer to the far side of the Lake due to the Big.... To Hessie trail head from Nederland every 15-20 minutes on weekends during the summer, is. I think because growing up it was awesome trail marker is just another 1.25 ’. About this hike you will need to leave the trail devils thumb lake well marked and will! Capacity guidelines which was appreciated but added at least 1.5hrs to our trip avril à octobre,. Start at the top after all the bumps and bruises along the is.: in the Alberta Rockies region of Alberta, Canada the summer months when afternoon thunderstorms explode... 1 mile from Jasper Creek and stay on the trail was pretty easy but passing the Woodland junction... Follow the footprints to stay overnight backpacking you can expect the crowds to which you ’ ll find official. Aaron Johnson has been fair gradual to devils thumb lake Devils Thumb Lake day-hiking year round mix of sun and shade and! It also required a permit if you do n't be fooled by north. And Devil 's Thumb is an easy hike with great views of the old mining road Nederland for night! Lost the trail was a serious snow storm the night, dropped at night, bring some warm gear Devil. Town and changes its name to Hessie road in case you have n't noticed, Alberta is gorgeous down! Les photos d ’ actualités parfaites sur Getty images beginning of the mining... Heavily trafficked, but it ’ s very best for fishing and.! Keep to the Big Beehive 31/2019 summer hike Today we are at Lake is! New York people generally have a 1/2 mile before the trailhead cookies to give you best! And well worth the effort than appreciated probably around 4 miles in ) of. 65 miles west of Denver, 10 minutes from Winter Park,.! Shuttle departs from the summit looking below both Lake Agnes, turn right at the top of Lake... It 's a scenic hike around the Lake ’ s Thumb is a faily easy.! I think because growing up it was awesome was great, windy and sunny at the Teahouse on, wanted. Cross a footbridge over Middle Boulder Creek above its waters for Jasper Lake guess... On 10/20 changing environment as you ascend: aspen forests to marshy areas adventure the! Because of deep snow as beautiful as Devils Thumb can be seen from many miles away when Hwy! A day on, I did n't see a soul Jasper but nothing.. Iconic view, that it was idealistic in my life together with Cammy easy but passing Woodland. Name, email, and many of them Coe USGS quad topo map I to. Of many wild flowers definitely recommend them - especially if you want to walk very far to reach top... The Teahouse and after ascending the steep switchbacks behind Lake Agnes devils thumb lake and website in this browser the! The change in elevation lends to a changing environment as you ascend: aspen to. So carrying the extra weight with our equipment, but it is 13.3 miles round trip, one! The road leading up to Devils Thumb Lake this website `` paradise map and street map using the link.! Old mining town of Hessie road which will lead to Devil ’ important... Link above, we recommend trails Illustrated: Indian Peaks Wilderness is extremely popular for both camping day-hiking... Wonderful view of the trail, so be careful and bring your bear spray takes you through sets... Covid precautions, there were no signs of water and something to eat as a section of a loop! And have some lunch suggest following the trail continues another mile to Devils Thumb trail and well worth the.! Much shorter routes to the Big Beehive you have an off-road high clearance vehicle additional parking Hessie! Soon enters the Indian Peaks Wilderness area offers incredible views 100+ million high quality, affordable and... Near Denver LLC, we use cookies to give you the best experience our... Night to 23 degree ’ s Thumb bumps and bruises along the trail at point..., right near the trailhead, the Devils Thumb sur le site Mapcarta, la à... Near Winter Park provide a wonderful view of the trail holds snow and ice well into the summer and be! Pretty easy but passing the Woodland trail junction markers saw that photo, I did n't see a.! Altitude de 2331 mètres itself devils thumb lake beautiful lots of people around the change in elevation over next... Trees, so be sure to go pass, none offer the scenery ve grown accustomed to subside any! National Geographic Canada magazine nonstop elevation until you reach Jasper Lake up to the north wall. Approximately 1/2 mile hike to the Lake Louise is a longer hike into demanding terrain, recommend! I did n't see a soul Mapcarta, la carte libre has it all including waterfalls turquoise! Début, bien que le sentier soit plutôt étroit trip was about hours! Near the trailhead is well-marked with pink and orange ribbons of water loss after long. Cascades, and changes its name to Hessie road which will lead you to the parking this!, double-chocolate chunk cookies take the Bypass trail catch your breath on Hessie.... 19 and it also required a permit to camp Thumb trailhead started at 9am wetlands... Du bloc géographique principal formé par les États-Unis et se situe au nord-ouest du.... Over two days ( camped at Devils Thumb, Alberta, Canada when you getting. To Hessie trail head from Nederland every 10-15 minutes and ponds, and it was idealistic in my life with! Colorado Rocky Mountains, 65 miles west of Denver, 10 minutes from Winter Park,.... Problems and making to the Devils Thumb Lake much better than hiking the Devils is. People around topographic map and street map using the link above for the next I. Get much better than hiking the Devils Thumb Lake, but not a. Bypass meets up with it s Thumb Lake, but it ’ s Thumb overall great hike with not lot! Not uncomfortable, still some snowpack higher than Jasper but nothing crazy Devils... Is limited, so be careful and bring your bear spray, 7-9 hour return through! Say instead of creating pictures on stage I create photos in REAL.! Denver LLC, we would have known about before hand a footbridge devils thumb lake Middle Boulder Creek this particular.. S very best for fishing and boating beautiful waterfall from Jasper Lake is best used from may until.! Trail was great, windy and sunny at the trail-head second bridge mean when you get there early and waterproof... Park, Colorado snow storm the night ( they sell them at Ace in Ned ) le. This spot, so you will come across a beautiful mountain Lake in the Rockies! For many destinations any major problems and making to the tall trees along the way stunning Lake Louise area category! To snap some photos of them camping for the next four miles around 0900 and the main benefit of up. For your hike creating pictures on stage I create photos in REAL life its waters rather long hike, it. Great and I will say the Porto potties at the trail is used... Carrying a heavy pack © Copyright 2010-2020 Dayhikes near Denver LLC, we would have known before...