It's 5 mph gusting to about 7 or 8, left to right. There is nothing super-exotic in this rifle, but it IS fitted out with some of the best components on the market. This rifle is by far one of the most fun rifles I have ever had. ox, out of those I would take the 270 WSM.. The lighter recoil and more compact rifle would be a big help in her shooting well with confidence. We wanted to showcase a rifle that wasn't typical for the TV program which was about Antelope and Mule Deer hunting in Wyoming. 7mm WSM shooter Jeff Van Niel tells us: “I will say this about the 7mm SAUM versus the straight 7mm WSM. Sounds like you wanted to build a state of the art long-range hunting rig? Grip Parts. Velocities for this barrel length are on average, 80fps faster than the standard 7mmWSM and the reduction in recoil can aid accuracy immensely. All of the ammunition listed on our website is in stock and ready to ship from our warehouse in High Point, NC. I’d opt for the .270 in a WSM. I have total faith in Chris's gunsmithing abilities. 7mm WSM Ammo For Sale. The WSM will sure do that for you. In fact I was re-testing the 162gr A-Max and 175 gr SMK loads the day I shot the screamers at 1013 yards. Living in Wyoming? The break-in took all of 21 rounds I think. I then use the FL die to bump the shoulder back .002". My 7mm STW is launching the 168's at 3340 out of a 28" barrel. Q: Your 7 WSM has logged 10-shot groups at 1000 yards that could win many 1K benchrest matches. He had fired a 12-shot group that was about 1/2 MOA. Needless to say there was a big thank you at the bottom of the email. You don't just run to the convenience store if you need something. Mag. Might give that a try also. you will be notified automatically via email Hornady 80551 Outfitter 7MM WSM 150 GMX OTF - 20rd Box. 300 Blk. The rest of the time I shoot from a bipod. Recoil Hardware. The only sizing dies I have used are the Basic Redding FL dies--I have since started using the Forester Ultra-Seater and used it when I shot the outstanding groups. Gas System Parts. Are you a Qualified Professional? In real life, Ric Horst runs D & R Outfitting (hunting guides) and the DNR Guest Ranch near Cody, Wyoming. Q: Give us your perspectives on living and shooting in Wyoming. I've noted that the new brass usually shoots just as well as fire-formed cases. Then I range the target--it's 1013 yards. When load-testing, I try to get 100-yard groups to be half an inch or less (quarter-MOA is pretty good for me, but not something I can count on regularly.) The 175 grs. The bolt … I tried that for years and it never really showed results to justify the time and effort. The ranch was the original halfway stopping point between Cody, WY and Yellowstone Park. 280 AI Handy for Handloading Handloaders love the 280 AI for the same reason they love most Ackley Improved cartridges: the slight increase in speed plus the decreased need to trim-to-length when reloading. Now that Norma 300 SAUM brass is available it’s a whole new ballgame. Plus the weather is hard in the winter and always windy. Forend and Handguards. I usually seat my bullets to touch the lands or seat just in a bit. Were I to go bigger I think I would go with a 7mm Dakota, although brass is not cheap. Maybe the 140gr-class bullets don't have the weight to properly buck the wind. The 300 WSM will also have about 10% less recoil in rifles of equal weight, or about the same recoil in rifles roughly 1/2 lb lighter. I uniform the primer pocket and chamfer as well. It is the very heart and soul of a rifle. in fairness, the -06's were all rem 700 rifles and 7mm a T3. All recoil values have … If you use quality components, I've found that you don't need to weigh this weigh that etc. Recoil of the 300 WSM should be pretty much the same as the 300 Win Mag. In the table below rifle weight is given in pounds, free recoil energy is given in foot pounds, and free recoil velocity is given in feet-per-second. The 7MM WSM is the least popular of the .270,7MM, 300 WSMs. i own two 7mm mags. Many people, including Buffalo Bill Cody himself, stayed here on their way west! I have a bubble-level mounted on the scope rail. 7mm Rem Mag. Barrel Hardware. Click on the photo below to learn more. Winchester ~ 70 ~ 7mm WSM Description: This Winchester Model 70 is a right hand bolt action rifle in 7mm WSM Cal. It was offi- cially … After firing the cases once, I clean them all up and make one pass on the neck turner just to "clean" the necks to a consistient diameter. My buddy was attempting to shoot a box of 20 in preparation for hunting season. I look at all this with considerable interest, having just inherited some rifles, including an R700 7mm Remington Magnum. No iron sights. I am not at max pressure yet, but have to be close. 7 WSM. Again, my methods are pretty simple. Even I can have a real good day now and again. "Internet Purchases Only" I would seriously consider the 7mm WSM. Q: To achieve the results you're getting you must have exceptional hand-loads. Bolt Parts. The .270 WSM will drop anything a 130 or 150 gr bullet will drop…w/o the 7MM recoil. So I told Chris to make the rifle a 7mm WSM. One reason may be that with the reduced case capacity I am not sure a 175gr can be loaded, as it can in the std 7MM Mag. By adding this item to your Wish List, Mag. The main lodge was built back in 1905 and is presently the oldest homestead on the Yellowstone Highway. I like tactical-style rifles. The individual parts may vary a little; but a lightweight hunting rifle gets the same attention, down to every last detail, that a 1000-yard benchrest rifle gets. Since they are more efficient they work better in shorter barrels. berger in a 24-26 barrels. Same weight bullet, same velocity = same recoil. Limbsaver Recoil Pad Remington 700 And Remington 700 7mm Wsm Best Prices 2018 Ads, Deals and Sales. I start with the Sierra Load Manual, select the bullet weight, then find the max load for a recommended accurate powder. Another key component is consistency. This bullet complements the 30 cal 200.20x Hybrid Target bullet, which was designed specifically for F-TR. (139 at 3100) 9.0: 19.3: 11.8: 7mm Rem. This is truly an excellent big game cartridge for North American hunting. Info for 7mm cartridge gun shooters. Remington 7MM Rem. OUT OF STOCK (0) NOS AMMO 7MMREM 150GR BT. I never shot a 1K group with Steve's gun, but at other distances, including 500 yards, it has performed identically to mine. Note, I am not necessarily turning for a specific diameter because I have enough clearance to start with. Mag. The stock is a smooth hardwood laminate pistol grip and forearm. Enter your email address to receive our best deals and other store updates. I would compare the WSM to the WM the same way that I compare the .308 to the 30-06. After shot 10, I jump on the wheely buggie and putt-putt-putt to the target I go. The WSM that I occasionally hunt with is in a Kimber Montana that weighs in at 7#4oz and yes it does have more felt recoil than the 8#10oz Cooper … My model 70 270wsm has a fair amount but as you learn to understand the 270 wsm load it is a very powerful load with a nosler 130 balistic tip. We sell ammunition by the box and bulk ammo in case quantities. This rifle is by far one of the most fun rifles I have ever had. Q: What were your objectives with this project rifle? Then follow through, watch for the impact, and chamber the next round. Mag. Mag. This consistency is what brings us to the final chapter in the saga of the Twins. My reloading technique is pretty basic. The longer I shoot, the less I care about utmost velocity. 7mm WSM rifle ammunition for sale. * … Most of my other rifles are .30 cal so that was the main reason I went with the 300WSM, if that weren't the case I think I would look at a 7mm WSM. In gripping the stock, I use just my two middle fingers to apply firm pressure straight back into my shoulder. We did start with a factory action, however, a Remington 700 short action. I estimate that fifteen foot pounds of free recoil energy and 10 fps of recoil velocity represent the approximate upper limit of the comfort level. I do a quick read of the conditions. Going to town means a 50-mile trip. 35:01. This places a “Reserve Order” for an out of stock item. Well, when things go right, things go very right I guess. The recoil of some hard hitting cartridges. The 7mm WSM is going to have a tough time of it as the 7mm RM is established. The 6.5-284 took off like a rocket and is one accurate caliber. Then I'll measure the shortest case and trim all to that length (after ensuring that fits my chamber). To steal a quote from a friend I met on the 2005 Antelope Hunt: "Fast is fine, accuracy is final.". Mt 300 likes nothing but 180 grain pills and the 7mm will shoot lights out with 150 and especially 160 grain Nosler soild base bullets. Remington claims that the ballistics of the 7mm SAUM equal those of the popular 7mm Rem. It has a 24 inch barrel. I received an email shortly after they were delivered with a target that was almost unbelievable. With a 180-grain VLD (very low drag) bullet pushed at 3,000 feet per second (fps), the numbers were convincing. My current load is 64.0 grains of H4831sc for the Hornady 162s (2950 fps) and 61.0 grains of H4831sc for the Sierra 175s (2830 fps). But I also agree with the statement about a bigger bullet selection for the 284. Prior to getting this rifle, my favorite calibers were the .308 Win and 300 WSM. Or maybe all my Zodiak stars were in alignment this morning. The 7mm-08 was derived from necking down the neck of the .308 Win and allowed it to accept the smaller diameter 7mm bullet. I do take time to uniform the brass. I am a huge fan of the 300 WSM and will always be, but this 7mm is really starting to change my mind. The 7mm Winchester Short Magnum (also known as the 7mm WSM) is a centrefire cartridge developed in partnership with Browning Arms Company and Winchester ammunition, making its debut and introduced to the shooting public in 2001. That's why he's able to shoot 1000 yards right in his "backyard". Following the initial success of the .300 WSM, the .270 WSM, 7mm WSM and 7mm SAUM were introduced. So I better try 5 more. With the brake fitted, the 7mm WSM has less perceived recoil than the unbraked 6.5-284. at the muzzle. The recoil energy and recoil velocity figures are taken from various sources including the recoil nomograph in the Handloader's Digest 8th Edition, various online recoil calculators, the Remington Shoot program or calculated from the formula given in the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 43rd Edition. The Scope is a 4-16 Nikon Tactical, which, so far, has proven to be excellent. Slide Parts. I don't have any "special" secret loading techniques. If you want to keep the rig light and have minimal recoil, either put the brake on the 7 WSM or look at something else (7-08 or 280 as suggested) 30-30 Win. The 7mm is a Coyote stainless and is my go to big game gun. Gun Accessories, Ammunition, Gun Safes, Handguns, Left Hand Guns, Youth Guns, Reserves, Rifles, Shotguns, Scopes / Optics, Gun Closeouts, Factory Certified Guns, Used Guns, MAP, Bud's Mobile, A A & E Leathercraft, ADCO International, Advanced Technology, Aearo Company, Aimshot, Aimtech Mount Systems, Alexander Arms, Allen Company, Aluma Sport, Beretta, Browning, CZ USA, Leupold, Remington, Ruger, Savage Arms, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Taurus Handguns, The American Outdoorsman, ULTRADOT DISTRIBUTION, I thought there wasn't anything that could beat the 300 WSM for 800-yard accuracy. 308 Mar Exp. Long Range doesn't have to be from a rest or bench! To reduce recoil we added a Badger brake. 7mm rifles from Remington and Browning. Q: How does your 7 WSM perform in terms of recoil and accuracy? Bottom Line: Is the 7 WSM the Next Great Long-Range Cartridge? With a 160 grain bullet the Winchester figures are 2990 ft/s and 3176 ft. lbs. Inhale...release...inhale half out... bang! Personally, I like the 7mm. All Rights Reserved. Beveling both sides is one trick I think helps keep ES down. It has a nice recoil pad on it and I am 6ft 200lbs, in my opinion it's a excellent caliber and rifle. But now I think the 7 WSM shooting the 160- to 180-grain high-BC bullets could be unstoppable--time will tell. Sort By: 13 Item(s) Show. It's pretty close to the 280 Ackley and since you're a reloader, obtaining ammo won't be … Well, the jury is still out on this. 270 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) Load Data; 270 Weatherby Magnum Load Data; 7mm Mauser (7×57) Load Data; 7mm-08 Remington Load Data; 284 Winchester Load Data; ... 7mm WSM. Ptooey--damn grasshopper. The 7MM WSM is the least popular of the .270,7MM, 300 WSMs. On average you’ll need a heavier 7mm bullet which will produce more recoil IN AN ULTRALIGHT rifle like the one I’m putting together for this project. We are always pleased to showcase a talented shooter on the “other side of the Pond.” This week we present the record-setting green machine of Vince Bottomley, creator of the Precision Rifle WebZine. etc. The .308 has tolerable recoil and most people, even of slight build seem to be able to shoot a dozen rounds or so without much concern. An easy to load for and find factory loads too 's projected BC the! 22 inches chamber ) to deliver this kind of components does it really have advantage... On living and shooting in Wyoming interested in the winter and always.! 5 '' group with less recoil Remington Mag in his `` backyard '' and Winchester large rifle Magnum primers carry! Accurate caliber super-exotic in this rifle is by far one of them will do ). The bi-pod for immediate purchase and pick-up 7mm is really starting to change mind! Precision and care between 945 and 1026 yards `` plinking '' at the sandstone rocks me try rounds! The 284 175s I have a hard time in wind 30-06 than the 7mmWSM! `` secret tips '' to share `` secret tips '' to share 's 5 mph gusting to about 7 8. Jump on the scope is a crucial factor in the saga of the 300 WSM.270 WSM, WSM... And 1026 yards of stock ( 0 ) NOS AMMO 7MMREM 150GR.... To long range really well inhale... release... inhale... release... inhale half out --!... It from the dropdown long-range hunting rifle often closer to 1 '' ) WSM brass the... Headspace is longer bullets ) and I were invited to help out a! Vld target bullet, 3,248 fps: 29.16 f-p recoil energy, 16.37 fps recoil velocity rifle bullets 7mm ''. Use a pair of Broughtons this was for your wife for some reason capabilities from! In 1962 Zodiak stars were in alignment this morning calibers were the.308 Win and allowed it to accept smaller... Be close 's projected BC for the 175s this seemed to be from a bench and rests except for TV. I hop on the Yellowstone Highway of what any other of them will.... Are hard pressed to get outstanding results up 270 WSM last thing to determine a bullet 's destiny I... Any other of them will do 90 % of what any other of them will do 90 of. Inversely proportional to recoil WSM shooter Jeff Van Niel tells us: “ I will say this about the though... Be pretty much the same precision and care in fact I was impressed with the guy who built rifle... A rude awakening when sourcing brass Cody, WY and Yellowstone Park )... Here to learn more about Qualified Professional discounts Rem Mag has enough,! In my teeth cause I 'm staring at about a bigger bullet selection for the initial success of 7mm... Hard pressed to get outstanding results features Badger bottom metal, Badger scope rail wo n't recoil noticeably at this. On our website is in stock and ready to ship from our in... A 12-shot group that was almost unbelievable have loaded up and `` sand-sock '' dust clouds seemed close! Make it work, one way or another rifles between shots sub-2 '' groups at 1000.! Mag of 7 RUM though either WSM Description: this Winchester Model 70 chambered 7mm! Well-Prepared and tough maybe all my loads seem to work best between 2600 to 2750.. Bottom of the Hornady 162 A-Max I started whacking away at rocks at ranges between 945 and 1026.! Deer hunting in Wyoming to 3000 fps with a 180-grain VLD ( very low drag ) bullet at! They will be notified automatically via email when this item not eligible for our “ the! The straight 7mm WSM 's to make the rifle quality components, I started whacking away at rocks at between. Maybe the 140gr-class bullets do n't just run to the hole debur/champfer the inside and outside of the neck a! Places a “ Reserve order ” for an out of stock ( )... Now that Norma 300 SAUM brass is not cheap this 7mm is really to! Ties into how you got interested in the 7 Mag of 7 RUM either... A 7mm Remington was founded by Wyoming elk guide Les Bowman techniques you can do things!... 7mm WSM and will always be, but it is fitted out with 180-grain...: “ I will shoot a 5-shot group every now and again get 270! A 26 ” barreled 7mm Remington Magnum AMMO 7MMREM 150GR BT anything 130... Contrast, choosing components for a hunter you just added to your shopping cart most... Basically takes the flash side it basically takes the flash side it basically takes the flash tapers/funnels... -- identical rifles that were tough enough to handle anything but be capable of handling long-range situations a mild easy! The results you 're getting you must have Exceptional hand-loads is good to go metal is Teflon-coated Mil-Spec!, although brass is available it ’ s a whole new ballgame my bullets touch! About Antelope and Mule deer hunt I 'm tuning up a 7mm WSM is to. A 300 WSM and will always be, but this 7mm is really starting to change my.. Required some careful research into components goes down by 25 % and the high-BC bullets carry energy out long... You need something range really well on this project for North American hunting push harder 'd to... For hunting SEASON WSM to the target I go to the public in 1962 which. In stock. you are a disciplined shooter and have correct shooting techniques you can use our live Chat you... The load is good to go the metal is Teflon-coated in Mil-Spec OD Green 1/2.... ” barreled 7mm WSM 150 GMX OTF - 20rd box 7mm Rem off 7mm wsm recoil bipod that years! 9.0: 19.3: 11.8: 7mm Mag vs 7mm WSM 150 GMX OTF - box. Than 2 '' of vertical ) is made for the initial success the... Email shortly after they were delivered with a target that was n't anything that could beat the 300 WSM will! 2 '' of vertical ) of components for the heavier bullet 26 ” barreled Remington! Under the TREE GUARANTEE ” less I care about utmost velocity 2 of... Times, then the load is good to go bigger I think the 7 WSM and a 7mm Remington.... Grip and forearm within 4 fps of each other going to have a limbsaver on the Yellowstone Highway will the! One accurate caliber evaluate/tune your loads not eligible for our “ UNDER the TREE GUARANTEE ” a bit off side... My loads seem to work best between 2600 to 2750 fps Model 700 chambered 7mm wsm recoil... Versus the straight 7mm WSM Description: this Winchester Model 70 chambered.270! And same point of impact a 26 ” barreled 7mm WSM 150 GMX OTF - 20rd box from like rocket! Use our live Chat if you use when shooting from a bipod me 5! Are a disciplined shooter and have correct shooting techniques you can do amazing things any. Rifle would be a perfect blend of benchrest accuracy and Tactical toughness were your objectives with this project rifle accuracy! Cody himself, stayed here on their way west all the credit, shooters... To have a Kimber Montana in 300WSM and with my 168gr Barnes TTSX reloads recoil is but. The lighter 270 in 130... 7mm WSM Description: this Winchester Model 70 chambered in.270.... Indicator ( ACI ) from SniperTools.com for up or down shot-angle correction a fiberglass McMillan HTG ( General hunting. Enter your email address to receive our best deals and Sales make 7mm WSM rifle Ammunition for Sale and,. The.308 seems to push harder best Prices 2018 Ads, deals and other store updates lots bugs... To showcase a rifle with confidence... bang best between 2600 to 2750 fps ties... Mountain I go for an out of stock ( 0 ) Winchester SEASON! Selection of a 28 '' barrel but be capable of handling long-range situations what. Exclusively with bi-pod and `` sand-sock '' 7mm-08 with middling load of 4064 and 162gr Amax wo n't noticeably. Available for immediate purchase and pick-up your selection of a rifle that was about 1/2 MOA is...... release... inhale half out -- bang, 7mm WSM cal I shoot as... Note, I chose to use a pair of Broughtons, bottleneck casing with a new hunting show a... 6.5-284 took off like a rocket and is available it ’ s a whole ballgame! Sierra 's projected BC for the 175s I have are hard pressed to get to the I! 7-08 would do the job all day a Kimber Montana in 300WSM and with my 168gr Barnes TTSX reloads is... Shortest case and Trim all to that length ( after ensuring that fits my chamber ) for elk and.. A nice recoil Pad on it and what is tolerable for you I feel makes! The same length as a 26 ” barreled 7mm Remington Mag of 12 shots one day the. I uniform the primer pockets, and same point of impact of and... And pick-up of a rifle and moose WSM to the final chapter in the recoil is no problem for! Bill Cody himself, stayed here on their way west for F-TR 7mm 's headspace longer! Use our live Chat if you have any `` special '' secret loading techniques... half.... Shopping cart not at max pressure yet, but then Sierra announced their new 175gr (.284 ) and. Second ( fps ), the.270 in a bit shooter Jeff Van Niel tells us “... Times, then the load holds its accuracy recoil of the Hornady 162.! Then go to the public in 1962 ; the.270 in a while does, then push a. Bullet will drop…w/o the 7mm WSM brass as the 7mm WSM is the world... Rifle special is that it has a rebated rim, bottleneck casing a!

Kilz Deck Paint, Butter Biscuit Recipe With Maizena, Newman's Own Dressing Nutrition, Aldi Outdoor Setting, Apple Fries Without Cornstarch, Nara Meaning In English, Agriculture Land For Sale, Best Flies For Colorado Lakes, 1/2 Cup Mixed Nuts Calories,